Ibn Ghazi Arabic Institute in Fez was honored to host the Fulbright-Hays Group Project Abroad in collaboration with Juniata College and through Funding from the US Department of Education. This prestigious Four-week program aimed at assisting American university professors and high school teachers in integrating the cultural history of North Africa into their language, social sciences and humanities curricula as well as developing instructional resources for Arabic language and area studies in their schools.
The four-week program focused on Arabic language instruction in addition to lectures on various relevant topics, calligraphy workshops, seminars, cooking classes, cultural excursions to many UNESCO’s World Heritage sites and Moroccan cities. This is in addition to the fact that the participants had the chance to live in the largest medieval city in the world, Fez, during the period of the program.
The program’s participants were paired up with mentors who are Moroccan teachers. The mentors played a very important role in answering the participants’ questions about Arabic language and Moroccan culture, history, and Islam, to name a few, through regular weekly meetings.
University Professor: Juniata College
- Michael Henderson, Professor, French & Chair, World Languages & Culture Department. Juniata College. PA, USA.
- Jim Roney, Professor of Russian. Juniata College. PA, USA.
- Deborah Roney, Director, Language in Motion & Assistant Professor of English. Juniata College. PA, USA.
- Kati Csoman, Dean, Center for International Education & Instructor, Intensive English Program. Juniata College. PA, USA.
- Emil Nagengast, Professor, Politics & Chair of the Department of Politics. Juniata College. PA, USA.
High school teachers / Curriculum Specialist
- Michelle Steward – Juniata Valley School District, Alexandria, PA, USA.
- Maylin Musser – Juniata Valley School District, , Alexandria, PA. USA.
- David Mann – Waldo Middle School, Salem, Oregon, USA.
- Gaineyou Salamy – Tyrone School District, Tyrone, PA, USA.
- Eric Yoder – Tuscarora Intermediate Unit, McVeytown, PA. USA.